Sweet potato casserole that’s sickeningly sweet is NOT my jam. In fact, I typically like my sweet potatoes to be flavored with savory spices. This side dish is somewhere between sweet and savory. The coconut butter and cardamom compliment the natural sweetness of the sweet potato, and prove that you don’t need heavy cream or gelatin-filled marshmallows to make a sweet potato dish delicious!
- 3-4 large sweet potaotes
- ¼ cup raw coconut butter (or 2 tablespoons extra virigin coconut oil plus 2 tablespoons coconut milk)
- ½ teaspoon cardamom
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400F. Scrub the potaotes, pierce them several times, wrap them individually in foil, and bake for 1 hour.
- Carefully remove the sweet potatoes from the oven and let them cool enough to handle. Peel the skins off, and put the orange flesh in a mixing bowl.
- Mix with an electric mixer or mash with a potato masher. Mix in the coconut butter and cardamom.
- If necessary, rewarm the potatoes in a pot on the stove (add a little extra coconut butter if they get dry) before serving.
- Serve warm, topped with nuts and an extra sprinkle of cardamom.