Papas Rellenas are a great way to jazz up your Thanksgiving leftover game. After holidays we all have some mashed potatoes sitting in the fridge. Stuff em’, fry em’, and you have yourself some serious Peruvian-style flavour bombs!
- 3 cups mashed potatoes
- 1/4 cup scallions, chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 pablano pepper, finely diced
- 1 red pepper, finely diced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 2 cups eggplant, diced (about 1/2 eggplant)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup goji berries (can sub with dried cranberries or raisins)
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Zesty Avocado Sauce:
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 avocado
- 2 green onions
- 1/3 cup sliced green olives
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup water
- pinch of salt
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup chickpea flour
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 4 cups vegetable oil, for frying
- Mix potatoes and scallions together. Set aside.
- In a large pan, on medium heat, heat oil. Sauté onions, peppers, tomato, eggplant and garlic until vegetables become soft.
- Add goji berries, lime juice, tomato paste, and spices. Cook down until liquid is not collecting in the bottom of the pan.
- Transfer filling into a bowl.
- Take a spoonful of potatoes and roll into a golf ball sized ball. Flatten in your hand. Place about two tablespoons of filling into the center of the potato. Roll up the potato, around the filling, and carefully shape back into a ball.
- Repeat until all your potatoes are used up.
- In a food processor, add lime juice, cilantro, avocado, green onions, olives, garlic, water, salt, and red pepper flakes. Whizz until the mixture becomes a smooth, green sauce. Pour sauce into a bowl and set aside.
- In a shallow dish, whisk together chickpea flour and almond milk, until smooth.
- In another shallow dish, spread out bread crumbs.
- Roll each potato ball in the chickpea flour mixture, and then roll in the bread crumbs.
- To cook the potato balls, heat 4 cups oil in a large cast iron skillet. When the oil is hot, place 3-4 balls in. Use tongs to roll the balls around to ensure even browning. Remove from oil when golden brown. Place on paper towel to soak up any extra oil. Repeat in batches until all your potato balls are cooked.
- Serve immediately with zesty avocado sauce.
If you give this recipe a try, take a photo and tag #crueltyfreefamily and/or #pleasepassthepeace. We are so excited to see your recreations!