Oil-less, minimal amount of ingredients, extra “cheesy”, comforting, potatoes, need I go on?
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1/3 cup raw cashews
- 4 cloves garlic
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8-10 medium potatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- In a medium sauce pan, simmer squash, cashews, garlic, and vegetable broth, until squash is tender.
- Transfer contents of pan into a blender. Add nutritional yeast, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Blend until completely smooth. I had to do this in two batches, as to not overflow my blender.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large casserole dish, layer sliced potatoes, then sliced onions, then a scoop or two of your “cheese” sauce. Keep doing this until you have filled the casserole dish. Skip the onions and make your last layers potatoes, then more cheese sauce.
- Cover and bake for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake for another 40 minutes. If you like a crispy top, broil on high until the top layer has browned.
If you give this recipe a try, take a photo and tag #crueltyfreefamily and/or #pleasepassthepeace. We are so excited to see your recreations!