Shiitake Mushroom Pho
4 things you need to know about pho:
It’s pronounced “fuh”, not “foe”.
It is a vietnamese noodle soup.
It’s easy peasy to veganize.
It’s MEGA delicious, and you need to make it ASAP.
- 2 tablespoons olive or coconut oil
- 4 oz shiitake mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons coconut aminos, divided
- fresh cracked pepper
- 8 cups water
- 8 teaspoons Better Than Bouillon (vegetable)
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 1 white onion, quartered
- 4 whole cloves garlic
- 4 green onions, roughly chopped
- 2 inch piece of ginger, roughly chopped
- 3 whole star anise
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon peppercorns
- pinch of ground clove
- salt to taste
- 300g rice noodles
- mung bean spouts
- fresh cilantro
- fresh mint
- fresh basil
- chopped green onions
- arbol or jalapeño peppers, sliced thinly
- fresh lime wedges
- Heat oil in a large pot. Rinse mushrooms, cut off stems, and slice the mushrooms. Reserve the stems.
- Sauté mushrooms with 2 tablespoons coconut aminos until fragrant, and the edges are nicely browned. Remove from pot and set aside
- Deglaze pot with water. Add Better Than Bouillon, agave, remaining tablespoon of coconut aminos, reserved mushroom stems, white onion, garlic, green onions, ginger, star anise, cinnamon stick, coriander seeds, peppercorns, and ground clove.
- Cover and allow to simmer on low for AT LEAST an hour. For a properly developed broth, start in the morning.
- Strain broth through a very fine strainer or cheese cloth, so you are left with ONLY liquid. Pour back into pot and heat for serving. Taste broth and add salt, if needed.
- Cook noodles as the package instructs.
- Place noodles and mushrooms in soup bowls. Spoon broth over noodles and mushrooms.
- Add your toppings! This is the best part! Bean sprouts, fresh herbs, green onions, and peppers. Squeeze fresh lime and if you like your pho extra spicy, add sriracha!
If you give this recipe a try, take a photo and tag #crueltyfreefamily and/or #pleasepassthepeace. We are so excited to see your recreations!