Whenever I get my hands on some really good tomatoes, I make Caprese salad. My version uses marinated tofu instead of mozzarella. Marinated overnight, the tofu takes on a briny, cheesy flavor that goes perfectly with ripe tomatoes and fresh basil!
- 12 oz firm tofu
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon juice from a jar of green olives
- 1 teaspoon white miso paste
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
- large pinch salt
- 1-2 large heirloom tomatoes
- 1 bunch fresh basil
- extra virigin olive oil, for drizzling
- freshly ground black pepper
- Cut the tofu into 1/4 inch slices. If desired, use a circular cookie cutter (I used a mason jar lid) to cut the tofu slices into semicircles.
- Whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, green olive juice, miso paste, nutritional yeast, and salt.
- Place the tofu slices in a shallow bowl or baking dish. Pour the marinade over the tofu. Cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours.
- Slice the tomato into 1/4 inch slices.
- Layer the tomato, basil leaves, and tofu slices on a serving plate. Top with olive oil and fresh pepper, and serve!
If you give this recipe a try, take a photo and tag #crueltyfreefamily and/or #pleasepassthepeace. We are so excited to see your recreations!