I’ve never been a huge breakfast person, I normally opt for a cup of tea and maybe a scrap or two of my toddler’s leftovers, while cleaning up the dishes. Mom liiiifffeee! When I’m pregnant, though, I really need to step up my breakfast game. Healthy/protein packed meals to keep morning sickness at bay and energy levels high are absolutely essential.
These burritos are quick, easy, and freezable!
This recipe makes 6 small burritos.
For the Tofu Scramble
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 block extra firm tofu, pressed and crumbled
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach, chopped
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon black salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- small pinch of cayenne
- 2 tablespoons water
Note: You can sub out black salt for regular. The black salt has a sulfur and therefor an “eggy” taste to it, making your scramble seem more realistic.
For the Burrito
- 1 package of small tortillas
- 1/2 cup corn
- 1/2 cup black beans, rinsed
- Vegan cheese
- Vegan sour cream
- Heat coconut oil in a skillet (preferably cast iron) on medium heat. Add your bell pepper and crumbled tofu.
- Meanwhile in a small bowl whisk mustard, nutritional yeast, spices, and water. Pour into the skillet. Coat tofu and peppers evenly.
- Quickly chop up spinach and add into the skillet. Take off the heat when tofu is lightly browned and spinach has started to wilt.
- Assemble your burritos by adding a couple scoops of your scramble, beans, and corn to your tortillas and wrapping them up.