Move over macaroni! There’s a new vessel to get creamy, cheesy goodness into your mouth. Today we are lightening up everyone’s guilty pleasure by making it low carb!
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked over night (or for at least a few hours)
- 1 russet potato, cubed into bite-sized pieces
- 1 medium carrot, sliced into bite-sized pieces
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- pinch of smoked paprika+more for garnish
- salt to taste
- 1 large head of cauliflower
- Add the potato, carrot, and onion to a medium pot. Pour in vegetable broth. Bring to a boil and let simmer until the vegetables are easily poke-able with a fork.
- While the vegetables are simmering, cut the cauliflower into bite sized florets. Rinse well and steam for 20-25 minutes. Make sure they don’t get mushy!
- Pour potato, carrots, onions, and vegetable broth into your blender. Add cashews, coconut oil, nutritional yeast, mustard, lemon juice, almond milk, and spices. Blend until completely smooth and creamy.
- Pour cheez sauce over the cauliflower and toss until coated. Sprinkle some extra smoked paprika and serve immediently.
If you give this recipe a try, take a photo and tag #crueltyfreefamily and/or #pleasepassthepeace. We are so excited to see your recreations!